Coconut water kefir is a delicious probiotic water kefir with beneficial electrolytes, enzymes, mineral rich, B-vitamins, cytokinins that promote healthy cell functioning and nutrients. It is easily prepared with just tender coconut water and kefir grains.
How does it taste?
Coconut water has a naturally fizzy taste, vinegary and mildly sweet (if sugar added) that is created when the kefir grains (symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria) ferments the natural sugars found in the sweet coconut water to create a refreshing probiotic drink at home.
- 2 or 3 Tablespoon of coconut water kefir grains
- 1 or 2 Tablespoon of Sugar or Jaggery powder (Optional)
- 2-3 cups of tender coconut water (clear and strained using a nylon sieve), i.e, 1 or 2 full tender coconut.
How to prepare –
- Add Jaggery or Organic Sugar to the glass jar (Optional)
- Add clear and strained tender coconut water to the jar and stir well.
- Add the water kefir grains and give a gentle stir with a plastic spoon.
- Cover the jar mouth with a clean cloth and fasten with rubber band.
- If the sugar or jaggery powder added, it is best to allow for 48 hours fermentation, if only coconut water without sugar 24 hours fermentation would be sufficient.
- Remove the kefir grains using nylon strainer and collect the coconut water kefir. The ready kefir can be stored in glass container and refrigerated.
- Most important, rest the kefir grains in Jaggery water for next 24 hours for the grains to feed and make a next coconut water kefir batch. This keeps your kefir grains healthy for very long time and reuse.
- If you want to store the kefir grains for a week or maximum two weeks, you can soak the grains in fresh sugar/jaggery water and store in the fridge (regular cooling section) with air tight lid covered. This will help the kefir grains to be fed and nourished before using it in coconut water.
Flavoring Options by Disha Sathya
You can flavor the ready coconut water kefir using lemon juice, ginger juice or add herbs like tulasi or mint leaves.
Please note if you are not using sugar in coconut water in the first batch: Once you receive the live coconut water kefir grains with us, rest the kefir grains in Jaggery/Sugar water for atleast 24 hours for the kefir grains to feed and rest, later you can make a fresh batch of coconut water kefir.