Milk Kefir Preparation –
- Glass Jar
- Wood or Plastic Spoon
- Plastic Nylon Strainer (Double layered Fine Nylon Mesh)
- Large Container (plastic or glass)
Ingredients needed: (To feed upto 2 people)
- 200 ml liter Fresh milk – Regular diary milk is good to use. It is better to avoid ultra-pastuerized* (UHT) or ‘lactose-free’. Goat milk if available please use it.
- 1 Table Spoon of Kefir Grains (approximately 15 grams)
- Add Kefir Grains to empty glass jar or BPA free plastic jar.
- Add 200 ml of milk at room temperature to the jar. Do not add milk upto the brim of the jar, leave one or two inch gap for breathing.
- Give a stir with plastic spoon.
- Cover the jar with clean cloth and secure with rubber band.
- Place the mixture in the kitchen top or cabinet or any safe place away from the direct sunlight.
- After 24 hours (maybe other 12 hours) you can see a thick consistency liquid (sometime bubbles), now it is ready to strain and use it.
- Use a plastic strainer and spoon to separate the grains and the ready kefir drink.
- Use the separated grains for next batch of kefir drink in same way.
- You can also keep the kefir drink in the refrigerator and use it later.
Which strainer to use?
It is best to use double mesh nylon strainer to save the kefir granules from flowing down the sieve along with the milk. The inner layer should be very fine mesh and the outer layer to be broader mesh.
IMPORTANT LINKS –
- Check best time to consume kefir and how much?
- Why Kefir Grains are not Multiplying? Looks Smaller in Size?
- How to Strain Over Cultured Thick Kefir Milk
- Side effects of kefir?
Buy Online Throughout India : Kefir Grains in Delhi, Noida & Faridabad, Kefir Grains in Mumbai, Pune & Nashik, Kefir Grains in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana & Hyderabad