- Glass Jar
- Wood or Plastic Spoon
- Plastic Nylon Strainer (Double layered Fine Nylon Mesh)
- Large Container (plastic or glass)
Ingredients needed: (To feed upto 2 people)
- 200 ml liter Fresh milk – Make sure the milk is NOT ultra-pastuerized* (UHT) or ‘lactose-free’. Cow Milk or Goat Milk is preferred.
- 1 Table Spoon of Kefir Grains (approximately 18 Gram)
- Add Kefir Grains to empty glass jar or BPA free plastic jar.
- Add 200 ml of milk at room temperature (there should be no cream) to the jar. Do not add milk upto the brim of the jar, leave one or two inch gap for breathing.
- Give a stir with plastic spoon.
- Cover the jar with clean cloth and secure with rubber band.
- Place the mixture in the kitchen top or cabinet or any safe place away from the direct sunlight.
- After 24 hours (maybe other 12 hours) you can see a thick consistency liquid (sometime bubbles), now it is ready to strain and use it.
- Use a plastic strainer and spoon to separate the grains and the ready kefir drink.
- Use the separated grains for next batch of kefir drink in same way.
- You can also keep the kefir drink in the refrigerator and use it later.
Texture of Milk Kefir Grains –
Looks like popcorn when rolled, it can be shaped easily. Kefir grain is made from gelatinous white or yellow small granules particles called “grains.” which forms a clump. These grains contain the bacteria/yeast mixture clumped together with casein (milk proteins) and complex sugars.
Which strainer to use?
It is best to use double mesh nylon strainer to save the kefir granules from flowing down the sieve along with the milk. The inner layer should be very fine mesh and the outer layer to be broader mesh. Please check the video below –
Buy Online Throughout India : Kefir Grains in Delhi, Noida & Faridabad, Kefir Grains in Mumbai, Pune & Nashik, Kefir Grains in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana & Hyderabad